We are a group of citizen volunteers, independent from private corporate interests and 100% funded by citizens. We have done research and share facts with fellow residents.
Why We Should Vote YES on Measure L
We have been overcharged for 30 years by Republic Services / Allied Waste, while dumping at Newby Island landfill in our own backyard. Among Newby’s customers that truck their waste from all over California, we pay significantly more than those much farther away.
The City of Milpitas has secured the best deal for disposal, better than Newby Island. It will save the city $350,000 – 650,000 per year. Preliminary rates (including disposal and collections) published by the City showed we can achieve a potential rate reduction of as much as -26% for our final garbage bill compared to current rates.
The new deal will dramatically improve traffic by removing up to 19,240 truck trip a year from the I-880/CA-237 intechange. This is the single most important measure to finally address our difficult traffic conditions.
Address the odor issue. The Newby Landfill (Republic Services/Allied Waste) has collected over 5,000 odor complaints and more than 30 violations. Measure L will divert 50,000 tons of trash away from that landfill and make a serious dent to those odors.
Protect our rights as citizens. Just like the casino and Measure E two years ago, Allied Waste seem to think that they can throw a lot of money into Milpitas politics and manipulate Milpitas residents with false information to convince them to vote No and protect their monopoly. This is a clear and direct challenge to our democracy. We need to ensure that our City Council continues to represent Milpitans, and not the big corporations and private interests.
Get the facts straight. Republic Services/Allied Waste has spent well over $500,000 to spread untrue and unsubstantiated claims to scare voters.
- There are no hidden transportation costs. Transportation fees are unrelated to Measure L. No matter whether we vote yes or no, no matter where the landfill is located, we will pay transportation fees. These are not hidden as they are currently being negotiated by the city of Milpitas, with no relation to Measure L. Will transportation cost $10 million? Certainly not! Like with most of their claims, Republic Services/Allied Waste is grossly over-inflating this number 10 times.
- No on Measure would waste $300,000 of taxpayers’ funds to place a new bid. With YES on Measure L, our city will be able to use that money to improve our roads and our schools.
- Yes, sending our garbage 20 miles away is cheaper than the current deal with Republic Services/Allied Waste. If Republic Services/Allied Waste had been able to make a competitive offer, they would have responded to the fair and open bid rather than spend over $350,000 in political activism to block it. We’ve been so overcharged by Republic Services/Allied Waste that even with the new landfill located 20 miles away, the new deal is cheaper for Milpitas residents. Currently we dump in our own backyard for $34 when Cupertino only pays $23 to haul their garbage 20 miles. Voting YES on Measure L will finally stop that abusive situation.
- Yes, Measure L will uphold your discounts. There is really no cause for concern. These discounts, such as for senior citizens, come from the city of Milpitas and not from Republic Services. Voting YES on Measure L will still keep these discounts and services unchanged.
- Yes, you are keeping the free dump day, only better. It’s now made even more practical with 4 free curbside pickups. You no longer have to get to the messy landfill, they come to you. 97% of residents use less than 4 dump days a year, but if you need more you also get $1 dump days at the Fremont station.Many elected officials and community leaders have publicly announced their support for Measure L, proving Republic Services’ fear mongering to be unsubstantiated. Measure L is a great deal for all Milpitas residents.
Republic Services / Allied Waste has cheated us for too long!
On Nov 8, vote YES on Santa Clara County Measure L.
Visit the FAQs page for more facts.
Visit your Milpitas people written Facebook page and give us a Facebook “Like” !
Help us get all Milpitas voters to know about these facts. Please forward this message to your friends and neighbors. Kindly consider to volunteer time or donate on our website. Thank you for your support!